Pediatrics/Petechiae

Question
My 18 month old went to the doctor on Friday due to running a fever.  The noticed petechiae on his torso and immediately sent him for blood work, which all came back normal.  The spots are still there, do I need to be concerned or do they take a little while to disappear.

Answer
Hi, Stacey,

Although petechiae are classically a sign of serious bacterial illness, they also can be seen with some viruses.  This is probably the case with your child.  It takes up to 4-7 days for these to disappear.  Hope he is getting better.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD