My 18 month old went to the doctor on Friday due to running a fever.  The noticed petechiae on his torso and immediately sent him for blood work, which all came back normal.  The spots are still there, do I need to be concerned or do they take a little while to disappear.

Hi, Stacey,

Although petechiae are classically a sign of serious bacterial illness, they also can be seen with some viruses.  This is probably the case with your child.  It takes up to 4-7 days for these to disappear.  Hope he is getting better.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.