Pediatrics/How to stop swaddling

I have a four month old baby girl who I have swaddled since birth, I use the Halo Swaddle Sleepsack. I rock her to sleep at night and for all her naps. I would like to move her into her crib but I'm afraid to put her in there swaddled as she might roll onto her face. She hasn't started rolling yet but I'm afraid she might one night, as she has been showing signs that she getting ready to. I have tried to wean her from swaddling one arm out, cold turkey, I even tried using something called a Zipadee Zip that is supposed to work wonders transitioning them to no swaddle, and nothing has worked! I did notice she seems to startle herself awake as well if not swaddled. I feel as though I'll be swaddling her forever, she is my second child but I did not swaddle my son so I'm new to this problem. How can I get her to sleep unswaddled? Thank you in advance!

Hi, Laura,

The key thing to getting your baby to sleep well on her own is to let her fall asleep without being in her arms.  She doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own.  I would rock her until she is drowsy, but clearly awake, and put her in the crib.  Swaddling is OK, and you can keep it loose enough so she can move around a bit.  It also sounds like she might be sleeping with you, something we really don't recommend as pediatricians.  She will do fine in her crib.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.