Pediatrics/Thick green poop in 6 month old..?

I have a 6 month old girl and I've been breastfeeding her since she was born... In the last few weeks I've been introducing her baby oatmeal cereal(she didn't like it), rice cereal(which she loves) 2x a day, and steamed carrot purée once a day... Her poo in the last week has gone thick(like toothpaste) and a dark almost hunter green... She had a couple harder poos(I gave her some water before feeding her the cereal and carrots) and they didn't stay... But she hasn't had a loose yellow poo for awhile...  Is this normal?? It kind of scares me that it's thicker than I think it should be...

Thanks alot

Hi, Bonnie,

Good for you!  You introduced solids at the time I recommend and the time we did for our three kids.  

Breast milk is the greatest laxative in the world;  consistently soft stools all the time.  Adding any solids will change the stool and generally it will be thicker.  If is isn't hard like a little round ball, don't worry about it.  You could always add something like baby food plums to soften it up again if this is a problem for her.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.