Pediatrics/Vaccination Advice

Question
Dear Doctor,

My baby is now 3.5 months old. She has been given following vaccination till now:
Birth : OPV & Hep B (BCG vaccination)
1 month: Hep B 2nd dose
40 days: Polio drop on govt booth
2 month 10 days: DTP+IPV+HIB(Pentaxim) & Rotavirus

Now, her Pediatric recommends to give vaccination on completion of 3 months 10 days for DTP, Hib, IPV, and Rotavirus 2nd dose. He has also given an option to choose either same pentaxim or easy 4. I would like to know which vaccination I should prefer. What would be the cost approximately for easy 4. Does easy 4 cures for all diseases as pentaxim.

Please advice accordingly. Thanks

Answer
Hi Ansh,

I am so sorry for replying late. I was busy elsewhere.

Pentaxim, as you know, has DTP (acellular: DTaP), IPV and HiB.

Easy Four is a combination of DTP (whole cell) and Hib.

As you will notice, there are 2 differences: One, Easy Four does not have IPV. Hence, IPV needs to be given separately. Two brands of IPV are available: Imovax Polio and Poliovac PFS. Both are equivalent. Secondly, DTP in Pentaxim is "acellular", thus it does not cause fever in most cases (Hence, it is also called "gentle" DTP); "Whole cell" DTP has high chances of fever, but it usually does not last fr more than 2-3 days.

Cost of Easy four is about Rs.550; IPV costs about Rs. 400; Total cost: Rs. 950.
Pentaxim costs Rs. 1893. In both cases, the doctor would also charge his consultation fee and injection fee, as applicable.

The choice is yours.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar