Pediatrics/BUN/Creatinine Ratio

Question
Should we be concerned about our daughters blood work for possibly kidney issues?
She is 3 years, 4 mos old
Weighs 29 pds
Height, 35.5 inches

RBC 3.91 Low
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 37
Immunoglobulin A 36
Immunoglobulin M 160

Her BUN/Creatinine Ratio 6 weeks ago was 35

It was also just discovered that she has several renal cysts in both kidneys, the largest of which measure 1cm x 1cm in one kidney (her kidney measures 9cm x 9cm) and the largest in the second kidney .9x.1cm while the other cysts are smaller.

Thank you

Answer
Hi, Tricia,

I am not sure what her kidney diagnosis is or why these studies were done in the first place.  Is there a history in the family of polycystic kidney disease?  Did she have an infection and the ultrasound was prompted by the infection?  I need a bit more history before I can answer this question.  

I have not found the ratio of BUN to creatinine to be very helpful in the pediatric world.  Most of us would follow the serum creatinine value as a marker of renal compromise.  The ratios you have described are essentially not changed.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD