Ever since he was about 9 months my son has had what his Dr. calls a cold, almost monthly. Generally lasting from 5-14 or so days and its the constant runny nose and sometimes a cough. Its usually clear or very paste green, never dark green or yellow.
  He is 18 months now and is a huge guy, he takes his vitamins daily and has never been sick aside from this (knock on wood). After the 3rd month I was so sick of constantly cleaning toys and sheets due to them being snot covered, so I went to the store and bought every cold medicine safe for his age..nothing worked at all.
 While at my parents he got sick again and my mother had me take him to a medclinic, insisting that something could be done. I was shocked when they gave him allergy meds for it, I know kids under 2 cant take it but it was a very low dose and I knew someone elses infant who was on the exact same medicine before so I tried it.
 Finally it worked! He had no runny nose while on it and was not coughing or cranky. The next time he was ill I took him to his dr and showed her the forms for the medicine and she refuses to give them to him..Why is this? They helped him so much and the only reason she will give me is "we just dont give allergy meds to kids"

Please remember that medicine is continuously evolving and no doctor can claim to know everything. Every doctor has his unique experience and bases his judgement on that experience. There are many grey areas and it is not always easy to say who is right and who is wrong. What is right under  one circumstance may be wrong in another.

Do not depend only on medicines for everything,. Human body is made up of the food we eat and you should be careful about the food you give. Cut down on dairy products. This by itself may solve your child's problem. If he is active and does not have any fever it is unlikely there is anything to worry.  

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and