Pediatrics/diarrhea kindly help

Dear Puneet,
My son was not passing stool after birth due to cyst in his abdomen with was diagnosed as psyndo meconium cyst and it was operated and removed successfully and he was discharge from hospital 2 weeks after surgery. After discharge doctor suggest him lactogen 1 milk as mother feed was not enough for him. After two days he got diarrhea with watery stools but his stool reducing substance and culture test is OK. Doctor changes his milk to F-Lac and on that he was doing fine till 3 months but bowel movements were 10-12 per day. Doctor advise us it ok as far as baby is gaining weight. After 3 months we have change the milk with doc advice to Meiji lactoless he was doing fine for 1 week. But, after 1 week things get changed and he again got diarrhea with watery stool and stool reducing substance is positive this time and culture test is OK. We have again consult with doctor and prescribe him osraces, entimizole, bismol and ecotec sachet after 4 days things remains the same then doc prescribe him antibiotic Novidat after starting Novidat his stool become normal after 5 days of antibiotic he again got diarrhea with watery stools the doc shift him on Soya base milk Isomil after 1 week his stool became thicker but still liquor then we have again started him F-lac as per doctor advice after one watery BM on F-lac his BM is more thicker now as soft paste with 10-12 BM per day. But, he cry’s and become in a very discomfort position when BM occurred. Yesterday we have conduct his stool reducing substance test and it was again positive. reports are as follows (COLOUR-WHITISH, CONSISTENCY-SOFT, MUCUS-NIL, PARASITE-NIL, BLOOD-NIL, REDCELL-NILL, W.B.C-NILL, PARASITE-NOT SEEN, OVA/CYSTS-NOT SEEN,  STOOL REDU. SUBS-POSITIVE) his weight at the moment is 5.3 kg and aged 3.8 months.
We are in a very depressing position regarding our baby’s condition kindly help.

Hi Rafay,

Many normal babies pass this kind of motion. If baby is active, gaining weight, there is no need of any treatment: no medicines and no switching of formulae.

Since I can't examine your baby and reassure you better, my advice would be to consult another good pediatrician in your area and discuss the issue with him/ her.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.