Pediatrics/Ferritin levels

Question
My daughter is twelve, has been excessively tired and "just doesn't feel good".  After blood tests, her ferritin level was only 12.  She has been put on a supplement, but has just started it.  Can she be feeling so poorly from the ferritin level that she is missing school.  The pediatrician is suggesting it could be anxiety or depression issues as well.  My big question is could the ferritin level itself be causing her to feel this badly?  He doesn't seem to think so, but I had to ask him to do the ferritin test.

Thank you

Answer
Hi, Brian,

Yes, this could be the total explanation.  Give the iron supplement three months, have the ferritin and the CBC repeated and see how she is.  Could this also be depression/anxiety?  Absolutely and other things like thyroid dysfunction should be considered.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD