Pediatrics/Green stool and Mucus

Question
Sir,

Our baby is 22 weeks old. His frequency of passing stool has increased since 15 days. It was watery and upto 10 times a day. On doctors advice we started him on Econorm and ORS. He looks active and healthy, well hydrated as well (normal urine, cries with tears, drools a lot too). We got the stool culture done and it showed E Coli (ESBL strain). Doctor said it is normal infection and should go on its own with ORS and Econorm. Doctor is not keen on using antibiotics, we understand that it is good and in our own interest. We also took second opinion and response was similar. Last five days stool is more green and has mucus, and it smells foul. The frequency of stool has come down to 5 or 6 a day. Stool test couple of days ago showed traces of reducing substance and it mentioned "Many motile bacteria seen". Our doctor still sounds normal and says there is nothing to worry about. Baby is all active, he may have lost little weight in last 15 days. He is completely breastfed, weighs around 7.2 Kgs now. Just one instance of mild fever in last 15 days, it only lasted 12 hours.

I am writing here just to make sure it is all normal with my baby, any inputs will be of great help.

Thanks
Sowmya

Answer
If only breastfed he is  unlikely to suffer from infection.Are you taking any medicines? This can cause bowel disturbance in the  baby. Traces of reducing substance can be normally found. Bacteria can also be  normally seen. If there are not many pus cells there is  no  need to  worry. If the baby is active, feeding well and looks well there  is  no  need to do anything. If he has fever, irritability or weight loss intervention will be required.  

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri