Pediatrics/Hepatitis b vaccination

My daughter was born on 27 Mar 2013. She was given hepatitis B vaccine on 28 Mar and 1 May. We had to change city and doctor. New doctor has his own vaccination schedule chart. On 11 May, my daughter was given another hepatitis B vaccine dose along with pentaxim. We did give previous vaccination details to new doctor and we also didn't realize this at that time.
Have we given overdose of vaccine to our daughter? Is it going affect my daughter? Should we avoid any further hepatitis B vaccine in future or another dose is required at appropriate time?
Please help.

Many thanks.

Hi Anil,

The third dose of Hepatitis B vaccine should have been given 5 months after the 2nd dose, i.e., around 1st October, 2013.

The inadvertent 3rd dose that was given too close to the 2nd dose WOULD NOT harm your baby...but MAY NOT be effective in providing protection from Hepatitis B infection.

Now there are two ways to go forward...

First, you can just ignore this dose and get 3rd dose of the vaccine on 1st October. That simply completes the course and there is nothing to worry about, as one extra dose of vaccine does not harm anyone.

Second option is to get her tested for the vaccine effectiveness by getting a blood test (Anti-HBsAg) done: The test is to be done 1 month after the last dose: i.e., around 11th of June. If the levels are > 10 units, that would mean the vaccine has been effective and no further dose would be required. If the levels are < 10, then go for the third dose on 1st October.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.