Hello sir,this is Dr. Tawseefa from India. I have a son of age 2 1/2 years, weight 12kg,growth not upto the mark, normal IQ level.He has a problem that, since the age of 1 1/2 years whenever he haves any wheat or dairy product he passes soft stool about 4 times a day, which is very foul smelling.He was started on probiotics, but there was not so much change.If  wheat & dairy products arenot given,then he passes semiformed stool 1-2 times a day.My second child is a daughter about 10 months of age with no such complaints till now.Sir please help me as to how to deal with this condition of my son. what are the tests to be done or medication to be started.

Hi, Tawseefa,

He probably has a lactose intolerance and might have a gluten allergy/sensitivity.  Avoiding these products or before milk products, using an enzyme called Lactaid, will help.  Get some further testing from your doctor to make sure he doesn't have celiac disease, a significant autoimmune sensitivity to gluten, one of the proteins in wheat and some other grains.  Lactose intolerance is linked with celiac disease.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.