Pediatrics/Paediatric

Question
My 2 1/2 year old  gets constipated regularly. I give him lots of liquid, fibers, fruits, fruit juice, low fat yogurt, prune juice, prunes. Yet it happens regularly. Water is definitely a struggle to give him, he drinks but not sure it's sufficient. Can you give me specifics in brand of juices, particular fruits, fibers and sufficient measure of water he need to eliminate this problem. He is not always constipated but holds it in after an episode of constipation sometimes. Can you help?

Answer
The key thing is to maintain water intake which can be via any liquid - they are all mainly water. The main cause of constipation is not drinking enough. It sounds like he may benefit from some laxative therapy to keep the stools soft eg Movicol or equivalent.

Pediatrics

Dr Graham Smith