My 2 1/2 year old  gets constipated regularly. I give him lots of liquid, fibers, fruits, fruit juice, low fat yogurt, prune juice, prunes. Yet it happens regularly. Water is definitely a struggle to give him, he drinks but not sure it's sufficient. Can you give me specifics in brand of juices, particular fruits, fibers and sufficient measure of water he need to eliminate this problem. He is not always constipated but holds it in after an episode of constipation sometimes. Can you help?

The key thing is to maintain water intake which can be via any liquid - they are all mainly water. The main cause of constipation is not drinking enough. It sounds like he may benefit from some laxative therapy to keep the stools soft eg Movicol or equivalent.

Dr Graham Smith

I am accredited in general paediatrics and paediatric nephrology and and am happy to answer questions on both topics. It is not possible or safe to assess acutely sick children through this medium. Such children should be taken to their own doctor, where a full history can be taken and an examination carried out.

I have been a consultant paediatrician and paediatric nephrologist for 13 years. I have been involved in paediatrics for 22 years.

Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
British Association for Paediatric Nephrology
European Society for Paediatric Nephrology
International Pediatric Nephrology Association

Archives of Disease in Childhood
British Medical Journal
Pediatric Nephrology
Current Paediatrics
Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation
Nephrology and Urology

MA (Cantab)
MB BS (London)