Pediatrics/Potty training

Dr. Olson,
My son is turning 3 in 2 weeks, and he's been late with most of the milestones.  I know he's late with potty training at 3-years-old but he's simply not ready, he's my third, so I do know what signs to look for.  He's in daycare part-time and they pushed me into starting him 3 weeks ago-without success at anywhere but at daycare.  He's there 2x a week for 7 hours a day, not drinking more than 1 cup of liquid all day and he's not having any problems, also he uses the toilet there.  At home, he has accidents after accidents, no progress, we can only get him to sit on the toilet with his pants on and the lid down.  I'm getting frustrated and I need to figure out what to do.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hi, Gabi,

I am concerned that he only is drinking a cup in a day.  This seems a bit slight for a three year old.  

What is different about the toilet at the day care?  Is it more easily used by him?  If it isn't different and he goes well there, then this is toilet training resistance, a common power struggle thing that we see in a lot of three year olds.  He may sense that his lack of progress at home is bugging you and therefore he may just be more resistant to the home training.  Kids love to bug their parents and get a response from them, even if it isn't always a positive one.

Let him take the lead at home.  Don't bug him too much about it.  Praise for successes or even small steps toward successes.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.