Pediatrics/Re: coconut water

QUESTION: My daughter is 9 months old and weighs 7.2 kg (birth weight 1.48 kg born in 34 weeks).

She does not like to drink water as a result she passes formed and dry stools. Can we give her fresh coconut water. What other drink / juices can we give her as a substitute for water.

ANSWER: Hi Archna,

You can't "force" a baby to have water or anything else..just go by baby's demand!

Yes, Coconut water can be given.

I would not recommend juices...fruits are better: both nutritionally also and also for preventing/ managing constipation: Fruits are rich in fibre that holds water and makes the stool softer. Fruits have more vitamins and minerals than juices. Juices are just for taste.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: thank you doctor for the immediate and satisfactory reply.

Since yesterday she is passing hard and little pebbly  stools. Her appetite is normal. She does not cry while passing stool but after have passed she cries a little particularly to avoid us cleaning her. We have to clean her after distracting her with toys and then she is fine. I think she must be experiencing burning sensation at the bottom.

Is she constipated? What we have to do in such a case?

thanking you in advance.

Hi Archna,

Try to give water/ coconut water. Home extracted Orange juice and branded Honey can be given as medicine for constipation. Increase her intake of fruits and vegetables to prevent constipation in future.

I hope you are not giving that can increase constipation: Cow's milk, Gripe water, "Jaman ghutti" etc.

Do consult her pediatrician if the problem persists.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.