Pediatrics/Re: infant food

Question
Dear Doctor,

My daughter is 8.5 months old and weighs 7.2 kg (birth weight 1.48 kg born in 34 weeks).

Since she completed 6 months we starting giving ragi malt, banana milkshake/ other mashed fruits, rice & moong dal khichdi (paste consistency, sugi halwa (semi solid consistency), occasional mashed vegetables gradually one item at a time. We also started giving her rice and tur dal with salt & ghee so that she gets used to home food. This we blend it in a mixer to make a semi solid paste, as her intake is less with just smashed rice & dal as it more granular.

Is it ok to blend it in a mixer as we were suggested by our friends that blending food in mixer could be poisonous for infants?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Answer
Hi Archana,

Using of blender does NOT make the food "poisonous", but is not recommended.

Baby must get used to the granular consistence. there is no need to "push" more food by blending it or any other way. Just go by baby's appetite: that is the only way to judge baby's requirements. Please don't "pre-calculate" amount of food to be given...otherwise you are doing a very good job as far as feeding is concerned. Keep on adding more food items gradually. Remain in touch with her pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar