Pediatrics/spacing between two different combination vaccines

Question
QUESTION: Dear Doctor,
My daughter (born 28 Jan 2013)had received 1st dose of DTAP (Pentaxim)on 24 march and Penumococcal and rotavirus vaccine (Prevaner 13 and Rotarix) on 26 March as per PED. Next doses given on 24 & 26 th April. Is it wright schedule? someone told me that there should be 21 days gap in between. When I should give the 3rd doses of these (though scheduled on 24 & 26 May)? Plz answer ASAP.

Regards

ANSWER: Hi Manas,

There is no problem as such in this schedule. It is a common misconception (even among some doctors!) that there has to be a gap (of four weeks) between two different vaccines. It is not true.

However, practically, it is better if different vaccines are given on the same day (but on different sites). This reduces visits to the doctor, and number of "uncomfortable days" for the baby. Hence, my personal advice would be to take the 3rd dose  of both vaccines (Pentaxim and Prevenar 13) on 26th May. There is no problem if you take these on 24th and 26th May, if you (or your Pediatrician) so desire..

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Sir,
Thanks again for ur opinion. One more question I forgot to ask for my daughter. DOB of her is 28.01.2013, As I already told u, we hav already given pentaxim (24 march & 24 April) and Prevenar13 & Rotarix (26th March & 26 April). Hosp had given OPV also with the 26 April dose of Prevenar13 & Rotarix. Is this a wright dosing of giving two live vaccines together.
her OPV schedule till now is 0, 25 days, 3 months. What should be the opv schedule as she is already taking Pentaxim.
Please suggest me.

Answer
Hi Manas,

There is no "problem" if OPV is also given along with IPV (pentaxim). Till July 2012, this was the standard recommendation to give OPV along with IPV. However, as per the latest recommendations (issued in July 2012), OPV is to be given at birth, 6 month, 9 months and at 5 tears of age (4 doses). In addition, OPV must be given at every pulse polio round ("Polio Ravivars"). IPV is recommended at 6, 10, 14 weeks.

You can see the latest immunzation schedue at: http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

In your baby's case, I would recommed OPV at 6 month, 9 month, 5 years and all Pulse polio rounds.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar