Pediatrics/stomache ache/not eatting

On Sunday night (5/12/13) my 3yr old dropped to the ground clutching his tummy and started saying his tummy hurt him, he was also running a fever of 102 so I gave him some ibuprofen. After that he was fine and went to bed. Now on Monday when I picked him up from the babysitters, he went straight to the couch and laid down complaining about both his tummy and head hurting. Again he was running a fever of a 102 and the ibuprofen took the fever and pain away. Come Tuesday afternoon still complaining about his tummy and head hurting but this time his fever went from 102 to 104 the ibuprofen has been working but he has stopped eating completely but will drink whatever you give him. Now today (5/15/13) is the same as yesterday and I'm starting to get worried considering the last time he ate anything was at lunch time on Monday. I'm at a loss, could this be something more serious then a tummy bug considering there is no vomiting and/or diarrhea involved?

Hi, Ali,

I suspect this is a viral illness, but with it going on longer than one might suspect and with the lack of vomiting and diarrhea, I would suggest a visit to your doctor to be sure there is nothing more serious developing.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.