Pediatrics/Temperature Fluctuations in ten week old after UTI

My son was diagnosed with a UTI  and finished antibiotics one week ago. I checked his rectal temp and it read 99.9, then over the coarse of an hour the temp read 99.6,98.8,97.6, and then 98.9. I understand that this is not a fever, but the 99.9 temp is the same temp he had when diagnosed with the UTI. Are temperature fluctuations like this normal in a ten week old? Should I be concerned that the UTI may still be present due to the 99.9 temp? When he was Ill the temp never got beyond this number.

Thanks for your time!

Hi, Holly,

These small changes are normal and have to do with the childs normal changes and the measurement accuracy of your device.  I'm not sure the idea of all these rectal temps is a great one for a healthy child.  Please be sure that the UTI was well diagnosed (a catheter specimen or a flawless bag specimen) and that there is some follow-up testing.  Please be sure the diagnosis was accurate, for the followup is crucial for a well documented infection in a boy this age. We consider temps below 100.4 to be normal and 100.4 and above to be abnormal.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.