Pediatrics/undigested food in stool

Question
my 11 months old daughter had gained just 200g of  weight since last 3 months (current weight 6.9 kg, birth weight 2.2 kg). she had problem of reccuring loose motions earlier ( had already enquired about the same from you)
she was normal for two months now most of the time I notice undigested food even banana in her stool... she passes motion twice or thrice a day, little bit loose. .
can it b a reason for not gaining significant weight?
do I need to get her examined again?
please suggest tips for her weight gain...
thanx
ranjana

Answer
Hi Ranjana,

At 11 months, weight is roughly 3 times the birth weight. Hence, your daughter's weight, as compared to birth weight, is OK. It is also normal for a baby's stools to have some undigested food.

However, her weight gain of 200 grams in 3 months is on lower side. You must get her examined and discuss the issue with her pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar