Pediatrics/28 month old son not talking as yet

My son has just turned 28 mnths, I am very concerned because he does not speak as yet. It is not that he is quiet, rather he is babbling all the time.
He says a few random words and then stops, like mama but it is not addressed to me, similarly papa, nana, nani, dada but I dont think he means any of these. a week ago he started saying mum whenever he wanted water but now has again stopped. He has a few words for some particular things like "I" for the alphabet tray he has and "nahi" for a certain game he plays with me where he pretends to fall off the bed and wants me to hold him.

on the other hand, he understands almost everything and also conveys what he wants through gestures and pointing. for example, get your shoes, sit on the cycle, get a ball, play with the bat and ball; he recognizes a few alphabets and can put almost all of them correctly into the tray at the right places, he likies to play with puzzles.

We sent him to a playschool just last week, and his teacher told me that he was managable, playful and enjoyed himself, but does what he wants to do and does not seem to respond when called.

I am really concerned, please advise

A large number of children at this age have such speech delay in India, often children learn things by age 3 and parents forget about this problem.
But they fail to realize that his speech development remains late compared to peers and may have adverse outcome in class performance.

Considering all this it is important that you don't take it casually when by 18 month age, an infant is not able to name at least 4 words or has less eye contact or doesn't respond when called for or is restless and cannot sit at one place.

Such children will need
1. Speech therapy assessment evaluation and follow up
2. pediatrician assessment for associated issues, screening for Autism, ADHD, Neurodeficit.
3. Occupational therapy assessment for modifying strategies

"but does what he wants to do and does not seem to respond when called" === these issues in most cases show improvement if proper approach provided through counseling and behavior modifications with occupational therapist, psychologist and if needed a special educator.

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.