Pediatrics/8yr old daughter, allergic reaction

Foot w/ reaction
Foot w/ reaction  
Good afternoon, Dr. Olson -

My daughter is 8yrs old and has never been diagnosed with allergies,although seasonal itchies have been an issue from time to time.
This past Saturday (2 days ago), we were on a bike ride on a trail - when we exited the trail, her foot was itchy, now it is quite swollen.  I have given Advil & children's allergy medication, niether are having much effect.
When do I take her to the doctor vs. "wait & see"?

Thank you in advance for your time.  

Hi, Darla,

This looks like a contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction caused by something touching the involved skin.  Poison ivy/oak/sumac are examples of this.  Other things can cause it.  I would try some oral diphenhydramine, 25mg, and see if it gets better.  If it is early poison ivy type of rash, it may require a course of oral steroids to improve.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.