Pediatrics/Baby Hit Nightstand

Hello.My little baby brother hit his head on the nightstand and I am freaking out so bad.There's a green bruise swelling on his forehead and even some paint was on it.He's 8 month or so and I really hope he's okay.He only cried for a maybe 15 seconds and stopped.

Is he okay?Will his IQ lessen?Does he have brain damage, etc?

Hi, Ami,

This is a pretty common sort of injury and if he is not crying and is doing fine and didn't lose consciousness, then he should do well.  This minor injury will not cause brain damage nor will effect his IQ.  Don't freak on this!  Happens to a lot of kids and is hard to avoid, even if he has a good sister caring well for him.

Good luck, D.r Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.