Pediatrics/Flaking in urine.

Dear Dr.
I have a 3 and half year old son who is not circumcised. Over the past few months, I have noticed that his urine has very tiny white flakes that float (almost like tiny skin flakes). He has no trouble voiding (he voids 3-4 times a day) and his urine is pale yellow, clear and normal smelling. Also, I noticed that his foreskin balloons on urination. I was wondering if the flakes are flushed out smegma in urine, or something to be concerned about.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Hi, Nitu,

I thought I answered this but somehow answer didn't go through.  I would worry that the ballooning of the foreskin suggests a phimosis, a scarring of this area with the restriction of the opening to keep urine trapped.  The white stuff may be smegma that is floating around in this balloon.  See your doctor, please.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.