Pediatrics/Frequent Cold and Cough in 4 year old boy

Respected Sir,
         My 4 year old grandson is often suffering from cold and cough.Initially his mother gives him some anti allergic medicines.The cold gets chocked and the child often suffers from fever.Can a safe ant allergic medicine  be prescribed and to be continued  and also how his immunity can be increased.
     With thanks

Hi, Kalyan,

Most kids this age with frequent colds are exposed in a day care situation.  Allergic symptoms are often hard to distinguish from a cold.  Antihistamines, like diphenhydramine or loratidine are available and can sometimes help and are safe.  There is no way his immunity can be artificially increased other than rest, good diet and good sleep.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.