Pediatrics/Importance of Pneumococcal and Rotavirus Vaccines

Question
Respected Doctor,
As we know that Pneumococcal and Rotavirus Vaccines are Optional vaccines (as well as costly) in INDIA. These vaccines are not even included in Our national vaccination program. Is it essential to go for them in our country??
Thanks.

Answer
Hi Vivek,

Yes, both of these vaccines are recommended for routine use (NOT OPTIONAL) by Indian Academy of Pediatrics.

You can see the latest immunization schedule, last updated in July 2012 at:

http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

WHO has strongly recommended of inclusion of both of these vaccines in National Schedule of Developing countries, including India. At present they are included in national schedules of over 93 countries, including Pakistan. Even Bangladesh is introducing these from September 2013. Democratic countries like India (especially with Coalition governments) have decision making process that is too slow as you know....Still, India has introduced Hib vaccine in national schedule in phased manner from last year (initially 5 states, now I think 11 states and likely to be pan-India from next year). Rotavirus vaccine and IPV (injectable polio vaccine) are likely to be included in National schedule from next year. With such a huge population, even this is a big achievement. Inclusion of Pneumococcal vaccine will take some time. Till then there is no choice but to take these vaccines privately, so as to prevent these killer infections in our children.

These vaccines APPEAR costly, but are not that much costly if you compare it with cost of hospitalization with any of these infections in any average hospital in India.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar