Pediatrics/loose stool in 5.5 month old baby

Question
Hello Doctor,

My baby is 5 and half month old and she is on EXCLUSIVE breast feeding. Before now, she had been having normal stool, which she passed out once, daily. But since yesterday, her stool became very loose and slippery (with mucus). Between yesterday morning (8am and today (11am), she had passed out loose stools 8 TIMES. What could be responsible for the watery stool? How can I manage it for her?

The secomd issue is teething. She has been showing signs of teething since when she was 3months old -she drools, scratch her gums, bite on her toes, and cries when she's uncomfortable, but no tooth has shown yet. Is this normal? We DO NOT use any teething drug for her.

Thirdly, she has fallen from her bed on two different occasions, is there any reason I should worry about? On each occasion, she sustained NO injury, although she cried.

Lastly, I will start weaning her next week, so as to start a job. I intend giving her locally made pap with powder soyabean. Can I add baby formula to the pap, as sweetner? Is glucose D okay for babies? Can I give it to my baby?

Can I start cleaning her mouth with glycerine mouth wash? Her tongue is slighly white.

Thank you.
Blessing.

Answer
here are the answers:

My baby is 5 and half month old and she is on EXCLUSIVE breast feeding.
== good to have six month exclusive Breast feeding.

Before now, she had been having normal stool, which she passed out once, daily. But since yesterday, her stool became very loose and slippery (with mucus).
=== that may suggest infection.

Between yesterday morning (8am and today (11am), she had passed out loose stools 8 TIMES.
=== it may be risky as it may cause dehydration

What could be responsible for the watery stool? How can I manage it for her?
==== often small intestine infections cause water loss in motions which can cause dehydration. you may read about it at www.rehydrate.org

Watery motions need feeding support replacing the loss with increased feed duration. if the child gets thirsty, refuses to feed or passes lesser urine than before, chance of dehydration is higher and its always better to visit a doctor as baby is too small.

==== putting other objects in mouth increases contamination and chances of loose motions.

=== read my article on fall from height at www.kondekar.com you need to be more careful preventing accidents.

Lastly, I will start weaning her next week, so as to start a job. I intend giving her locally made pap with powder soyabean.
== not so soon wait for another month.

Can I add baby formula to the pap, as sweetner? Is glucose D okay for babies? Can I give it to my baby?
== no free glucose. if you wish to start non home based feed it will only be a formula at this age and stage.

Can I start cleaning her mouth with glycerine mouth wash? Her tongue is slightly white.
==== no mouth wash. its normal in breastfed babies to some extent.

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician