Pediatrics/Need advise

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Arun,

My son is of 3.5 months.
I did a testing of his stool sample and found below things:
------------------
Stool Routine Examination with pH Sugar & Occult Blood
(Physical, Chemical & Microscopic Examination)
Physical:
Colour: Greenish
Mucus Present
Blood: Absent
Consistency: Liquid
Parasites: Absent

Chemical:
pH: 6.5
Reducing Sugar: Trace
Occult Blood: Positive

Microscopy:
R.B.Cs: Few per hpf
Pus cells: Many per hpf
Macrophages: Present per hpf
Fat Globules: Absent
Veg. Matter: Scanty
Ova: Absent
Vegetative Forms: Not Detected
Cysts: Not Detected

Before one months he faced the same problem, was crying when passing his stool and there was a red circle outside anus.
Dr. gave some antibiotics injections and tube to rub on the red circle.
Then he was fine, but now again its started and no idea what treatment / advance diagnostics test will follow the exact root cause of this infection.

Your help on this will be highly appreciated.

Safal Chaudhari

ANSWER: You must be giving some formula. Presence of  pus cells indicates infection. Trace of  reducing substance can be normally found. The red circle you are referring to must be due to fungal infection,. Keep the area dry. This will prevent fungal infection. Minimize the use of diapers. Make sure you sterilize the bottles well before giving formula.

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Arun,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

At the end of 1st Month the pus cells were increased from 4-5 per hpf to Many and took 1 month to back to the 2-3 per hpf(After treatment).
Now again its increased to Many and detected Occult blood in stool sample.
We started a Milk powder(+ breast feeding) after Doctors advise, at start we were giving him DEXOLAC and then changed to Syml MCT.
Can you please suggested what best we can do minimize the infection and to get the root cause that what is causing an infection here.

From the start of using bottles we are used to boil it in water for atleast 15 minutes.

And what do you mean by "You must be giving some formula" as unable to understand what you said.

Thank you Dr. Arun.

Answer
"You must be giving some formula" as unable to understand what you said.    I just guessed that you may be giving formula as infection is very unlikely in exclusively breastfed babies. It may be necessary to get the stool cultured and give suitable antibiotic as the organism can be resistant to drugs given earlier..  

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri