Pediatrics/nipple lump

Question
My daughter is 7 years old.  She recently discovered a painful lump directly behind her nipple.  It does appear to be swollen.  No history of trauma.  She has a long medical history, including multi-organ transplant, so I'm concerned.  She's seeing her providers this week, but wanted to get an opinion in the meantime.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Answer
Hi, Jennifer,

We see lots of kids, girls and boys, who develop a breast bud at an early age.  This is called premature thelarche and is considered normal with the lack of other secondary sexual characteristics.  See your doctor, but this is almost certainly what it is.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD