Pediatrics/Re: Mealtime

My daughter is 10.5 months weighs 7.9 kg (BW 1.48 Kgs, born in 34 weeks). Since I am working, she is kept in the day care. She prefers solid food and her does like milk so her intake is very less upto 75 – 100 ml per day. Her eating schedule generally is -
a)   morning 9 am – little milk – 30 to 45 ml with a small elaichi banana mashed in milk
b)   midmorning around – 11 am -  idle/dosa with vegetable dal/rasam or suji halwa/upma
c)   noon – 2 / 2.30 pm – veg. khichdi / veg. dal & curd rice / chapatti with dal / ragi cereal / mix veg. upma
d)   evening 4.30 / 5 pm – apple / avocado / banana or any fruit milkshake  
e)   night around 8 – 8.30 pm - veg. dal & curd rice or wheat dalia / chapatti with veg. dal or curds
At the daycare two ladies are looking after her and I was told that she takes around 15-20 mins to eat the food, since one is feeding her and other lady is playing and talking to her. At home, for dinner or at weekends when she is at home, she takes around 30 to 45 mins sometimes 1 hr to eat the food. She doesn’t refuse to eat but wants to crawl/ explore/ stand / play with toys while eating which consumes some time as I have to go behind her. Moreover, she has the habit of passing motion while eating food particularly dinner which also consumes some time for cleaning her. I can understand if she has done with the food as she turns her head away or refuses to open her mouth.
I would like to know whether it is ok for her to take so much time to eat at home considering other habits as mentioned or should I adopt any other strategy? I was suggested by family members to hold her hands and body firmly and feed her, so she is stationery and completes eating fast. I am not happy with this strategy as the baby is also uncomfortable?
What kind of mealtime discipline should be introduced at this age or how to make it more pleasant?  We regularly show her how to feed herself but she does not take anything into her mouth by herself.

thanking you in advance

Hi Archana,

Almost all babies take time to eat, as their attention span is less.

Just keep offering her a variety o food items. Let her sit with you when YOU are having a meal. give her own attractive plate with small bites of food. She is sure to copy you!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.