Pediatrics/regarding newborn healthy skin

Hi doc,
     myself saman frm Hyderabad
sorry to bother u . my baby girl is just 29 days old nd im facing a prblm with her is
1.she is premature nd her head  hairs infornt is not completely grown .
2.Her skin colour is  very dark .when she was 2 days baby she was very fair nd pinkish but now her skin colour is becoming vry dark day by day. I nd my hubby is fair in skin but  why my daughter is facing this problem.. we were massaging her wd olive oil nd after 5-6 days we notice that in her body nd face small small pimples so,we stopped that oil nd started Johnson baby products but not getting nd result..let me knw if I hav to stop something nd use some good oil nd soap fr my girl...
3.i want to ask one question .. DOES BABY gets a skin of her father nd mother or someonelse in family members whose colour is dark ?
4.from past 3-4 days she is doing lose motions.. im changing her diaper 10-15 times a day .. my mom she is medicating her wd a medicine called(SPORLAC ND ORS)does diz thing help my baby.
        ivl be thankful if u answer my questions

Hi Saman,

Almost every baby is relatively fair and pink at birth. It is after a few weeks later that one comes to know of the real complexion of the baby. Complexion, like other inherited factors, can be "taken from" other realities also (like grand parents), not just parents.

In any case, dark complexion is not a disease/ medical problem. One should not be obsessed with fair complexion. Fair complexion does not indicate good health, nor does it guarantee success i later life. Hence, we should focus on overall development of baby and inculcating good values and good habits in our that is something that would make our children better human beings and thus a better world. Just forget about complexion. Whatever it is, it is good!

Hair would eventually come; no treatment is required. Hence, no need to worry on that count also.

Babies can often NORMALLY pass loose stools. No treatment is usually required. If, at any point, baby appears sick, lethargic of refuses feed or passes less urine, do consult your pediatrician. Never give any medicine to your baby on your own. It can, sometimes be dangerous.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.