Pediatrics/sinus bradycardia and heart murmur

Question
I took my twelve year old for a sports physical and they discovered a murmur that was never heard before,so we went for an EKG and chest x-ray. Chest x-ray was normal but EKG showed sinus bradycardia. The doctor is saying it is normal for an athlete but his father has been hospitalized with slow heart rate several times and I am wondering if it is a condition that is hereditary? He goes to see a pediatric cardiologist on Wed. and they are going to do an echo-cardiogram. I am wonder what kind of condition he may have or what may be going on? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Answer
Hi, Marie,

Sinus brady is normal.  The echo should be reassuring and will probably tell you that your 12 year old athlete has a normal heart and any murmur heard is a functional one, or innocent murmur.  If no one has ever heard a murmur in his repeated exams, then the chance of this being anything significant is virtually zero.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD