Pediatrics/Sleep pattern of my 28 month old son

Hi Sir,
My 28 month old son has a very erratic OR RATHER AVERY FIXED SLEEP SCHEDULE. He initially sleeps for about 8-9 hours,gets up, has 1-2 feeds in a span of 3-4 hrs and then dozes off again for 2-3 hours. Now when he gets up he stays awake for next 8-9 hours and then sleeps again for the next 8-9 hours. he has been following this schedule since he was around 4 months of age!!
The problem is that he may not necessarily sleep at night, a little shift in his sleep causes this sleep cycle to rotate such that he will stay awake all night and sleep majority of the daytime, a number of days in the month. Even on other days, he gets up in the middle of the night and stays awake, wants feeds as per his schedule.

this is causing a lot of inconvenience now as I have been thinking of sending him to a preschool.

Please suggest how can I make him sleep at night everyday, i have tried almost everything, following a schedule, giving him massage & bath at night, sleep time rituals, but nothing seems to work!

I have read some sedatives are used to relax toddlers and help regularize their sleep schedules. Is it true and do these have any side effects? Are these effective and recommended for such use??

once you start with preschool, his schedule will be timelined as per school needs.

often baby sitters/ care takers make child sleep in day time that keeps thema wake in night, if so you may need to talk to babysitter to wake him up in day time.

curiosity and attention will keep him awake; so call his friends home for play that will reduce day time sleep duration too.

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.