Pediatrics/19wk old fussy eating

My son is 19 weeks old and formula fed ( bf up to 3 months) . He has been a great feeder and is weighing a healthy 8.2kg but is now consistently fussing and refusing to feed with 2 to 3 of his bottles through the day,  (he has 5 ) I have been trying to establish a ' feed,  play,  sleep' routine but he never seems ready for a feed so have been waiting a little longer but he still usually refuses.  Finally he ends up so tired and needs to be put down so I'll try one last time,  sometimes he has it, others not.
He has been doing this for approx 2/3 weeks now but has seemed alot worse since his 4 month immunisations 3 days ago ( thurs - doc gave quick once over and everything seemed healthy and happy baby ) He vomited his whole bottle back up Friday night and has since been very fussy. Am I over worrying and he could just be a little off and not hungry just like we get.?
I have tried different positions,  seats,  quite rooms etc etc but just get a screaming baby each feed and sleeping very restlessly.
Thankyou for any advice

Hi, Stephanie,

Babies who scream and fuss with feedings should be checked for two major things:

1. GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux, the movement of acidic stomach contents from the stomach to the lower end of the esophagus.  This is something that can be silent in terms of not a great deal of spitting up.

2.  Formula intolerance.

Ask your doctor about these two possibilities.  A change from a milk based to a soy formula is something you can try on your own to see if this helps.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.