Pediatrics/acne or eczema

baby face
baby face  

baby face
baby face  

My newborn is now almost 6 weeks old.  The mother is breast feeding but cannot produce enough so we are supplementing with formula

I myself have asthma and moderate eczema and am allergic to dairy so i started my son on nutramigen formula so he would not be exposed to dairy.  He seemed Ok for a couple of weeks but then he started to break out with rashes on his chin, on the sides of his head near the eyes, forehead and cheeks.

My wife decided that we should switch the formula, against my better judgement we have him on enfamil newborn.  The rash does not seem to have gotten worse or better but his face is very dry now.  x

Our pediatrician said that this is not eczema because it is not showing up in the elbows or behind the needs but it is acne.  I'm not so sure about this.  My eczema definitely shows up more on my face/neck than anywhere else.

I've seen pictures of both acne and eczema on babies and it looks more like eczema to me but at the same time he doesn't seem bothered by it.   He doesn't try to scratch his face and he is not fussier than normal.   Within the last few days he seems to also have developed very watery poop, which I've read could be a sign of food allergy or lactose intolerance.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  Should I try to switch to a soy formula?  or try a different dairy free formula? or just wait it out for a week continuing on the enfamil to see if there are any changes?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Hi, clement,

If your pediatrician states that this is not eczema because it is not in the elbows or behind (I think you mean neck), then he/she is mistaken and not informed regarding the difference between infant eczema and that in older kids.  The body and the face are the main areas we see this in infants.  This is not infant acne.  

Nutramigen is a milk based, protein hydrolysate formula.  The milk proteins are cut into chunks that generally, but not always, don't stimulate the immune system.  I would tend to wait it out and see if this improves over time.  I then might try a soy formula, although many kids have a milk and a soy protein allergy.  An elemental formula, like Neocate might be tried.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.