Pediatrics/baby rash

baby face
baby face  

baby face
baby face  

My newborn is now almost 6 weeks old.  The mother is breast feeding but cannot produce enough so we are supplementing with formula

I myself have asthma and moderate eczema and am allergic to dairy so i started my son on nutramigen formula so he would not be exposed to dairy.  He seemed Ok for a couple of weeks but then he started to break out with rashes on his chin, on the sides of his head near the eyes, forehead and cheeks.

My wife decided that we should switch the formula, against my better judgement we have him on enfamil newborn.  The rash does not seem to have gotten worse or better but his face is very dry now.  x

Our pediatrician said that this is not eczema because it is not showing up in the elbows or behind the needs but it is acne.  I'm not so sure about this.  My eczema definitely shows up more on my face/neck than anywhere else.

I've seen pictures of both acne and eczema on babies and it looks more like eczema to me but at the same time he doesn't seem bothered by it.   He doesn't try to scratch his face and he is not fussier than normal.   Within the last few days he seems to also have developed very watery poop, which I've read could be a sign of food allergy or lactose intolerance.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  Should I try to switch to a soy formula?  or try a different dairy free formula? or just wait it out for a week continuing on the enfamil to see if there are any changes?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Currently, this just looks like "erythema toxicum neonatorum". which fades on its own in 3 weeks.

if not so, then only i may think of allergy related to atopic dermatitis or food allergy.

till then you may get phadia top infant test and skin allergen test for milk or soya or other ingredient you may feel the infant may be allergic to.

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.