Pediatrics/Baby Vaccination ( Rota virus )

Please advice me on Rotavirus vaccination, My baby has completed 4 months & will complete her 5th on 18.7.13
We have missed her Rotavirus vaccination but yesterday 8.7.13 her Dr. asked us to complete vaccination one yesterday and remaining in between 8.8.13 to 18.8.13. Please advice me as our old Dr was not ready to give the vaccine due to our miss out of time
Additionally existing Dr asked us to give baby polio vaccine by syringe ( which will cost around Rs.3000 ) instead of oral drops as there is no reliability over the oral drops. Please guide

ANSWER: Hi Ratikant,

Rotavirus vaccine must not be started after 15 weeks of age. If it was to be your baby's 1st dose of rotavirus vaccine, you should not go for it, as it would not be safe. If, however, this dose was to be the 2nd dose, then there is no problem. Last dose should definitely be taken before 32 weeks of age.

Yes, IPV (injectable polio vaccine) is better than OPV drops and is strongly recommended currently. However, the cost is not Rs. 3000; it is around Rs. 400 (Four hundred only) per dose.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Thank you for the information.

Having one doubt as My baby was 20 weeks old on 8.7.13 & that was her first rota virus vaccine. I am getting worried please suggest me the solution

Hi Ratikant,

There is a risk of a condition called "intussusception" if the vaccine is given after 15 weeks of age. It presents with repeated vomiting. If repeated vomiting occurs within next few days, please visit nearest hospital at the earliest.

Please don't go for 2nd dose of Rotavirus vaccine, even if no adverse effect is noted after 1st dose.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.