Pediatrics/Cleaning a boys penis

Question
My question is: should I pull back my sons foreskin to clean his penis?
Hello, my son is 3 years old. (Is not circumsized)
When he was born no one really told me how to clean his genitals.
I did my own research and I read books and most of them said not to pull back the skin because it might get infected.
My mom told me that I should gentle pull back some of the skin.
So up until this day I haven't pulled back my sons foreskin.
I'm scared to cause him pain and scars.
So I asked a pediatric and he actually pulled back his foreskin to show me how to do it.
My son screamed and i was scared.
Then I asked another pediatrician and he said not to worry about it, that the morning erections is more than enough to help him.
A third doctor said that I should only pull back the foreskin during bath time.
Now my son is 3 and I feel lost on how to properly clean him.
Am I too late to help him?

Answer
Hi Lala,

Relax! There is nothing to worry.

You should not pull back foreskin, especially if he screams. It can cause injury and scarring in the process of healing can lead to phimosis, necessitating circumcision.

Nevertheless, GENTLY pulling back a bit while bathing (after applying soap)CAN (not MUST) be done.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.kumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar