Pediatrics/Nose bleed in a ten yr old....

Dr Suri,

Thank you very much for volunteering on this site!
My twin (10 year old) grandkids get nosebleeds fairly often.    I understood they have a very “thin wall” in one of the vessels of the nose but that it could be cauterized and therefore, remedy the problem.
How do I know if the risk of a procedure like cauterizing a vessel is worth the possible gain?    How common it is for kids’ nose to bleed?    Do they grow out of it or is this something that may plaque them for life?    Any word of (general) advice on the subject?    

Thank you very much!    

Pablo Durissimo

Nose bleed is  common is  children and is usually not due to any disease. It is usually due to nose picking. Make sure they get enough of Vitamin C. If there is family history of bleeding disorder they may have to be investigated. Otherwise the problem usually disappears as they get older..

Please support an online petition to the WHO requesting the authorities to review the definition of health and include the spiritual dimension and share it with your contacts. This is the link  

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and