Pediatrics/Nose bleed in a ten yr old....

Dr Kumar,

Thank you very much for volunteering on this site!
My twin (10 year old) grandkids get nosebleeds fairly often.    I understood they have a very “thin wall” in one of the vessels of the nose but that it could be cauterized and therefore, remedy the problem.
How do I know if the risk of a procedure like cauterizing a vessel is worth the possible gain?    How common it is for kids’ nose to bleed?    Do they grow out of it or is this something that may plaque them for life?    Any word of (general) advice on the subject?    

Thank you very much!    

Pablo Durissimo

Hi Pablo,

Nosebleeds in children are fairly common. Common underlying factors are "vascular nasal mucosa" (i.e., high density of blood vessels in that area), crusting (due to dry, hot weather, less intake of liquids)and thin mucosa. In some cases, additional underlying nasal conditions, like deviated nasal septum, polyps, etc. further predispose to nosebleeds.

If the nose bleeds are very common (more than once a week), or always involves only one nostril (e.g., if the nosebleed is always from right nostril), you must consult an ENT specialist to rule out any underlying conditions and their appropriate treatment.

Cauterization helps in stopping bleeding from one vessel/ tiny area that is bleeding. Hence, it is useful as an emergency procedure to stop bleeding in occasional severe case where bleeding does not stop by conservative methods (pinching nose for > 20 minutes and ice pack application). It has hardly any role in "prevention" of frequent nose bleeds. It would be helpful in preventing recurrent nosebleeds only in rare cases where the bleeding is always from one "point" and thet "point" is cauterized. Only an ENT surgeon can tell after examining your child whether he falls in this category. In most cases, however, the bleeding is from different "points" everytime...and excessive cauterization is fraught with complications, including perforation of nasal septum, and is not recommended.

General advice on this to maintain good fluid intake, use of vaseline in nostrils to prevent crusting in hot weather, care of nails (It is nose-picking that initiates bleeding most of the time.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.