Pediatrics/Pale yellow stools

Question
My 4 year old grandson has just recently started to have pale yellow stools and was worried about liver problems. His diet is not the greatest and will eat mostly cereal with milk and lots of vanilla yogurt. Could diet cause problem? He will eat some fruit and veggies but does not like meat. His stool was normal in color until just the last few days and diet has not really changed.

Answer
Hi, Scott,

It would be highly unusual for a kid this age who is healthy to all of a sudden have a "liver problem".  Most likely this is a virus illness and/or the combination of a lot of dairy products.  If the stool eventually doesn't change back, have him see the doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD