Pediatrics/Pale yellow stools

My 4 year old grandson has just recently started to have pale yellow stools and was worried about liver problems. His diet is not the greatest and will eat mostly cereal with milk and lots of vanilla yogurt. Could diet cause problem? He will eat some fruit and veggies but does not like meat. His stool was normal in color until just the last few days and diet has not really changed.

Hi, Scott,

It would be highly unusual for a kid this age who is healthy to all of a sudden have a "liver problem".  Most likely this is a virus illness and/or the combination of a lot of dairy products.  If the stool eventually doesn't change back, have him see the doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.