Pediatrics/rotavirus vaccine

Question
Sir,
My grandson's age is 5 months 9 days on 31/07/2013. Today i.e. on 31/07/2013 my daughter-in-law had gone to some relative's house and there she got administered FIRST DOSE OF ROTAVIRUS VACCINE (GSK)to my grandson. But when I saw on internet about this vaccine I am worried because as per information there, for fist dose of this vaccine the age is over.  Now kindly suggest what should be done. Whether to go for 2nd dose or not.  What precaution should be taken for adverse effect if any.

I shall be highly obliged for an early reply.
k k sharma

Answer
Dear Mr. Sharma,

It is not safe to go for rotavirus vaccination after 15 weeks of age. There is risk of a serious side effect called "intusussception" if the vaccine is given to an older infant. Please remain watchful for next few days..and rush to nearest hospital if your grandson develops repeated vomiting.

In view of risk of such a serious side effect, it would not be wise to go repeat the mistake (You MUST NOT for the 2nd dose).

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.kumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar