Pediatrics/Sickle cell (SS)

Question
Hello, i have a 2 weeks old baby, and just got a report that she has ss, and have been referred to a specialist and to confirm the diagnoses, right now i am constantly checking her temp and watching for anything out of the normal, I really don't know what to expect, having an child with ss, what are the problems  to look out for; or and at what age do you start seeing a crisis or symptoms.

Answer
Hi, Blessing,

I am not an expert on SS disease, for in my area we have few black people and other people of color.  Babies have plenty of fetal hemoglobin that tempers the effects of this problem until later in life.  My suggestion is to go to any of a number of web sites and get yourself updated on this disease.  

Good luck, and hope all goes well, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD