Pediatrics/Thank you for any help

Question
QUESTION: My 30 month old daughter was taken to an emergency department about a month and a half ago with chronic abdominal pain recurring in waves bad enough for her to scream, blood and mucous in her stools, diarrhea the week before and no constipation. After an examination from the doctor we were sent home with no explanation. Then i got a referal to a paediatrician about a month ago when the symptoms would not subside. She increased bowel motions and had pain at least once a day. He sent a stool sample away for colitis and campylobacter. But what worries me is that the bowel motions have become more regular since then with blood and pain every motion if not every second motion. There is about 1/2 a tspoon to 1 teaspoon of blood in and around the stool, and it is a red to dark red colour. Can you please help me?

ANSWER: Hi Samantha,

Blood in stools is not normal at all and cannot be ignored. She needs to be carefully evaluated to find out the underlying cause: Meckel's diverticulum, Cow milk protein allergy (CMPI), Colitis and Polyps are some of the possiblilities that need to be considered...

Please talk to your pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: She's had cows milk since she was 1, would symptoms develope this long after? It all only started about a month and a half ago, with quite rapid onset.The 3 doctors i've seen seem to be quite laid back about it all too.

ANSWER: Hi Samantha,

Yes, CMPI is still possible... May be microscopic blood loss was present for sometime; and now it has progressed to this stage....However, as I mentioned earlier also, other possibilities also need to be considered.

Laid back attitude is definitely not warranted/ desirable here. She needs careful work up.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Should any of the conditions you described above have been picked up with an abdominal examination? Or only with stool samples and colonoscopy etc? Just wandering as she had her abdomen examined on three different occasions and they have told me its "unexplainable" pain as they cannot feel anything.

Answer
Hi Samantha,

In Colitis, there can be some tenderness of abdomen, but can be normal ("unexplainable"). In all other conditions, abdominal examination would be normal. Polyps can sometimes be suspected on digital rectal examination.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar