Pediatrics/Vigamox vs tobradex and breastfeeding

I have a staph corneal ulcer and was prescribed tobradex. My daughter is 3 months and I am exclusively breastfeeding. Can I use these eye drops? If not, is vigamox effective and safe to use? If not, can you suggest a medication that I can ask the dr to prescribe in lieu of tobradex?

Thank you in advance!

Hi, Michelle,

Yes, you can safely as a nursing mother use the drops.  Vigamox may not be as effective for staph as the tobramycin, but I'm not sure.  Why not just use what has been prescribed for you and if this is not acceptable, ask the prescribing doctor, who knows all the details of your situation, if there is another good choice.  Corneal ulcers are nothing to mess around with.

Good luck, D.r Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.