Pediatrics/4 year old cough, for one year

Question
Hi there!
My 4 year old son has a chronic dry, extremely loud cough. He probably coughs once every 10-15 minutes while awake, and again, it has been a YEAR of this.
He does not cough at night.  
He does not wheeze.  
It is slightly more frequent on exertion in gymnastics class.
He appears to have a substernal retraction (I'm a nurse, though not a pedi nurse).  His chest, to me, is looking a little barrel shaped compared to a year ago, but perhaps this is my imagination.

He has tried for months zyrtec, Claritin, nasonex nasal spray, veramyst nasal spray and has just started singulair this week.  I am so frustrated; he is frustrated and embarrassed and tired of coughing through movies.

What should be my next step in advocating for a solution for my poor coughing kiddo?  His pedi and ear nose & throat MDs have not done chest xrays or pulmonary function testing, nor are they thinking asthma (I am not sure why?  no nocturnal cough, is that why?)

I feel really helpless.  Having a cough in school may be miserable and distracting for him.

Answer
You have not mentioned his weight and height and investigations. Is there  family history of cystic fibrosis? You should also get him checked by an ENT surgeon. As you are a nurse it is quite likely you are imagining some things. Only examination by a pediatrician can clarify this. You should rule out eosinophilia and tuberculosis if it is  reported in your area. If all these are ruled out you can try giving one teaspoonful of honey in the morning for about a  week.  

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri