Pediatrics/azithromycin

Question
Dear Dr.  Iam informed the side effects and risks of the azithromycin are very high compared to other antibiotics especially amoxcillin according to FDA and other studies. MY son was prescribed 250 mg daily( half morning and half night) by a pediatricst. I think it is high for aged 6 child and pediatric dose of azithromycine is 5mg to 20 mg\kg. 10mg\kg may be ideal dose it is not too high and too law. MY son has frequent mucus some time with fever. IN recent test esnophils was little high. My question is 250mg for 6 years old child is high? Thanks

Answer
Hi Rasheed,

Ususal dose of Azithromycin is 10-20 mg/ kg/ day (NOT 5 mg/kg)depending upon clinical condition. Thus 250 mg for a 6 year old cannot be termed as "high".

Do, relax! There is nothing to worry on that count.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar