Pediatrics/Feeding for 9 month old

I have a 9 month old grandson and he is 26 lbs.  My daughter-in-law just said she took him for a check-up and the doctor told her she was feeding him too much baby food and to cut back on this and increase his stage 2 formula.  She was also told not to give him sweet potatoes because it caused constipation.  I am wanting a second opinion because I know he's not getting too much baby food.  They feed him more bottles because of convenience and feel I'm not getting the whole truth here.

It is  better not  to be very rigid in this  matter. Till completion of six months baby  needs only milk. After that there  should be gradual  transition to family diet by about one  year  of  age. Do not force the baby to eat any particular item.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and