Pediatrics/High Fever and Crying after Pneumococcal+DTP Injection+OPV

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

My son is 4 months old. He had got one shot of Pneumococcal injection and one shot of DTP+Hib vaccine + OPV yesterday.

He had previously got two shots of Pneumococcal injection and 2 shots of IPV+DTP+Hib vaccine(Pentaxim) and he had no fever nor was there any discomfort(Severe Crying) after the injection. However, this was not the case after the recent Pneumococcal and DTP+Hib injection+opv.The following were the differences in terms of vaccination:

1) The brand initially used  was Prevenar 13 but the brand of Pneumococcal used yesterday was Synflorix.

2) Initially, Pentaxim was administered but yesterday, it was a combination of DTP vaccine+ OPV.

My question is , should I stick to Pentaxim and Prevenar 13 for future injections or is it normal to have high fever and discomfort after a DTP injection, eventhough this did not happen the firsttime around. I look forward to your response. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Vimal

ANSWER: Hi Vimal,

The DTP vaccine is known to cause pain and fever. Pentaxim has DTaP (acellular pertussis component), which causes much less pain and fever than usual DPT. Otherwise bot DTP and DTaP are equally good as far as effectiveness is concerned. Whether you go fr DTP ot DTaP in future is YOUR choice.

Regarding pneumococcal vaccine, the brand should not have been changed. Prevenar 13 and Synflorix are different vaccines and same brand should ideally be continued. Please take Prevenar 13 only in future

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Thanks for your prompt and precise response.

I have one more query regarding vaccinations.

My son had Pentaxim vaccination(DtaP-IPV+Hib)in the 9th and 13th week respectively. In the 17th week, he had a DTP vaccinations and OPV. When and how many more doses of IPV injection should be taken ?

Answer
Hi Vimal,

He would need one injection (3rd dose) now followed by booster (along with DTP/ DTaP and Hib booster at 16-18 months of age. In addition, OPV should be taken at 6 month, 9 month and 4.5-5 years of age and also at all Pulse Polio rounds till 5 years of age.

You can see the latest immunization schedule as recommended by Indian Academy of Pediatrics at:

http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar