Pediatrics/Regarding vaccinations IPV and OPV

QUESTION: Hi doctor, my baby is 2.5months old. At first month, his pediatrician gave him pentaxim along with PCV and rotavirus. We got relocated to some other place due to which we were not able to get in touch with his actual pedeatrician. In the second month, we went to another pediatrician, who gave OPV, HIB, DTP, PCV, Hep-B, and rotavirus separately. We missed out OPV the first time and IPV second time. Is this ok? Please suggest me as I am confuse here with vaccinations of my child.

ANSWER: HI Sravanti,

As per latest recommendations, IPV should be given at 6, 10, 14 weeks, while OPV is given at birth, 6 months and 9 months.

For latest immunization schedule, please visit:

I think your baby should be given IPV now and again with next vaccinations at 3.5 months.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Thank you for the prompt reply doctor. Is IPV available as a separate injection? Its more than 7 weeks now since IPV-1 was given to him. Does the mean that we have missed the IPV-2? I have heard that IPV and OPV are same, can you please suggest me further? I have cross checked my baby's vaccination chart, OPV doses are given at birth, 6 and 10 weeks. and IPV at 6h week. Kindly suggest further. Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Sravanti,

OPV and IPV are not same. IPV is better vaccine, but needs to be injected. OPV is a weak vaccine but can be given orally. As of now, both IV and OPV are recommended in India, as I informed you earlier.

Yes, IPV is available as separate injection also.

Yes, your baby needs IPV-2 now, as I informed earlier.

IPV should be taken now, another dose after one month and booster at 15-18 months (along with booster of DTP and Hib)

OPV is to be taken at 6 months, 9 months and 5 years of age in addition to all the pulse polio rounds till 5 years of age.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Dear doctor,
Thank you very much!

The info provided by you was very much helpful for me to get a clear track on my baby's vaccination.

I wanted to know one more thing: My baby was given pentaxim in his first month and then in second month a separate doses of HIB DTP and IPV were given? Can my baby get EASY-FIVE in the third month instead of Pentaxim? As advised by you, he had his IPV just today! And his next scheduled date for vaccinations is on 23rd of this month, and IPV alone on 15th of this month! Please suggest! Is it safe to get so many vaccinations? What if something is missed out unknowingly ? Is it fine to get DTaP in the first month and DTP in the second and third month?

Awaiting for a reply! Thank you again..

Hi Sravanti,

If your baby has been given IPV on 13th of August, next dose should be around 13 of NEXT month (September)..not on 15th of THIS month...I hope it was a typing error!!

DTP can be taken even if DTaP (Pentaxim) has been taken initially: no problem.

EASY FIVE is a combination of DTP, Hib and Hepatitis B. EASY FOUR is a combination of DTP and Hib. Your baby would not need EASY FIVE, if he has received 2 doses of Hep B till now. Next dose of Hep B is recommended 5 months after 2nd dose: If your baby has received 2 doses of Hep B, he would need EASY FOUR for next dose, and then IPV and Hep B as scheduled.

So many vaccines would protect your little one from so many dangerous infections all his life...Isn't that good??  

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.