Pediatrics/vaccination query

Question
QUESTION: My baby is 4 months old.
He is given BCG opv at birth.
Sanofi pasteur and hep-B at 6 weeks.
Pentavac and opv at 10 weeks and quadrovax opv at 14 weeks.
My doubt is- does Pentavac and quadrovax contain IPV vaccine
please clarify.
Also pls tell if I have all vaccine for my baby.
-Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Priya,

No, Quadrovax and Pentavac do not contain IPV. As per current recommendations, IPV should be preferably be given at 6, 10 and 14 weeks.

Since your baby has recieved 3 doses of IPV, he can be given TWO doses of IPV at TWO MONTHS interval to complete the course. Baby would require IPV booster at 15-18 months of age (along with DPT and Hib vaccines)

Your baby has also not received PCV (Pneumococcal vaccine) and Rotavirus vaccine. Since baby is now 4 months of age, Rotavirus vaccine cannot be given now. Baby can be be given 3 doses of PCV vaccine at one month interval (followed by booster at 12-15 months of age) to immunize him against Pneumococcus (a bacteria that causes pneumonia, meningitis and septecemia).

For latest immunization schedule, please visit: http://www.iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Thanks a lot for the quick reply sir.

I want to clarify below queries also

OPV is nothing but IPV? So my baby is immuned to polio?
I need not give any separate vaccine or injection for IPV? Hope i am right.

Fine i forgot to mention 2 doses of rotarix is given at 6 and 10 weeks.
My doctor said PCV is not needed for a hygeinic atmosphere like our nuclear family.
And its very costly also. Will that b fine sir?!!! I am not taking any chances.

Also Hep-B is given one at birth. Dose2 at 6weeks and dose 3 at 10 weeks.
But my vaccine chart says i need to give a dose at 6months. Is it so? I have completed the doses.

Please clarify.
Thank u!

Answer
Hi Priya,

No, IPV is a better vaccine than OPV. As per current recommendations, OPV is given at birth, 6 months, 9 months and 5 years of age. IPV at 6, 10, 14 weeks and at 15-18 months. Your baby needs 2 doses of IPV followed by booster of IPV (along with DPT and Hib) at 15-18 months , as I informed earlier.

Although pneumonia is more common in croded areas, it is certainly not uncommon in urban areas with small fanilies, as we keep coming in contact with different people through out our lives. To make the point short and simple for you I must say that no doctor is above scientific recommendations, that are formulated after a detailed in depth review and critical analysis/ debate by topmost experts in the country. All doctors should ideally follow the same. PCV is recommended routinely in India by Indian Academy of Pediatrics (Pl see the link that I gave earlier). The vaccine is recommended in US and most developed nations who have hygiene level that is far gar better than ours. Yes, it is a "very costly" vaccine, if we compare it with cost of other vaccines, but the cost is nothing if you compare the cost with direct and indirect cost associated with hospitalization and treatment of a child with pneumonia, especially in nuclear family with less support system in case a family member is hospitalized.

It would have been better if the child had received the vaccine at 6 months. However as per the guidelines of IAP, no further dose is required if the baby has received 3 doses of Hep B vaccine at one month interval.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar